Your Future Protected
We Do Things Differently
Airbnb Block Management and Flat Insurance
As a Managing Agent or Residents Association organising buildings insurance quotes for flats or apartments under a leasehold a big responsibility.
The rise of Airbnb has added further complications when arranging property insurance. Although Airbnb provide a small amount of cover this is only due to theft or vandalism of a guest and is limited £600,000.
Unfortunately, many UK insurers have been slow to react to the popularity of Airbnb. As a result most insurers have done almost nothing to adapt their property policies and their underwriting stance is quite rigid. Many block property insurers will not accept the property being used for Airbnb purposes, even where it is 1 of 50 units, so it’s important to tell your insurer as you may be in breach of your policy terms and conditions.
If you don’t tell your insurer that a leaseholder uses their apartment or flat for Airbnb hosting your insurer may refuse to pay out on an insurance claim – even if the claim has nothing to do with an Airbnb guest due to material non disclosure.
Clarke Williams have specialist property markets who are able to provide insurance cover for landlords and home owners who are using their property for Airbnb purposes.
What to do to protect yourself against leaseholders using their property for Airbnb
There are several steps you can take as Residence Association or Management Company, such as:
- Write to the residents requesting details of who occupies the property or what it is used for
- If any units are being used for Airbnb hosting, make sure you notify your broker or insurer
- Ask that the leaseholder carries out regular checks on the property
- Ask that the leaseholder refrain from hosting stag do’s or hen parties where possible
- Ensure that leaseholders provide their guests with an information pack detailing contact numbers and what do in event of an emergency for instance details of where the water stock cock is.
If may be the case that your current insurer no longer wishes to insure the property, restricts perils such as vandalism or increases the excess considerably.
Clarke Williams Ltd work with hundreds of property owners, residence associations and managing agents. If you are struggling to obtain competitive terms for your block of flats or apartments speak to one of our advisors.
Benefits of our blocks of flats insurance cover
- Access to A rated UK based insurers
- Over 50 years of experience and technical knowledge
- We are independent insurance brokers and we work for you, the customer
- All staff are UK based – No call centres
- Buildings including accidental damage, water damage, fire, theft, flood and storm Inflation protection of up to 50%.
- Trace and access of leaks in service pipes.
- Communal contents including fitted carpets.
- Alternative accommodation or loss of rent
- Cover for outbuildings, communal gardens and grounds.
- Replacement keys including keys to communal entrances.
- Employers Liability to cover anyone working in communal areas
- Third party Property Owners Liability up to £10 million.
- Various extensions including Illegal cultivation of drugs, Fly Tipping costs and Tree Felling Costs
If you are a director of a Right to Manage Company (RTM), Residential Management Company (RMC), member of a Residents Association, a leaseholder or simply a resident who has volunteered to organise the buildings insurance for your block of flats speak to one of our advisors for a review of your property insurance.
Additional insurance we can also provide:
- Directors & Officers and Trustees Liability
- Property Owners Liability
- Terrorism cover
- Engineering and inspection cover, including passenger lifts
- Extended legal expenses cover – including tenant disputes
From 2-unit maisonettes to more than 300 units in a purpose built tower block, we insure properties of standard and non-standard construction. We also offer unoccupied and listed buildings insurance.
Be safe in the knowledge that your business is protected.
Get a quote by calling our team on 01732 252 898
or submit your details below
Submit your details for a quote
Clarke Williams Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under reference 758683. The Financial Conduct Authority’s Register can be accessed through http://www.fca.org.uk/ . We are registered in England and Wales with Companies House under number 10317065. Our registered office address is Blue Bell Court, Sovereign Way, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1FU.