A quick guide to construction insurance 

Clarke Williams Insurance Brokers are specialist liability and indemnity insurance brokers for the construction industry. Below is a short guide to the different types of insurance that may be required or maintained in connection with a construction or engineering project.

Public and Public Liability Insurance 


Who needs Public Liability Insurance? Employers, Contractors and Subcontractors.


What does Public Liability Insurance cover? It covers you for bodily injury to third parties or property damage which arises in the course of your daily  activities,  for example damage to a client’s premises or neighbouring property whilst you are undertaking work. Nowadays, it is becoming more prevalent for Contractors to be asked to have enhanced limits for their Contractors Liability Insurance and at Clarke Williams we can provide Public Liability limits from £1,000,000 to in excess of £10,000,000.


Employers Liability Insurance 


Who needs Employers Liability Insurance? It is a legal requirement for all employers within the UK to hold this cover and the minimum statutory limit is £5,000,000 however most insurers provide £10,000,000 as standard.


What does Employers Liability cover? It covers you for liability arising from employees who sustain an injury or illness during the course of their employment with you. Cover should be provided for all employees, temporary workers and labour only subcontractors.  


Contract Works Insurance 


Who needs Contract Works Insurance? The Employer, the principal contractor and subcontractor 


What does Contract Works Insurance cover? The insurance protects against physical damage to works and site materials that you were contracted to undertake. It covers the works in the course of construction before it is handed over to the principal or employer on practical completion. It can pay to repair or to redo the work that is in progress if its damaged by an insured event like fire, flood, storm, vandalism or theft and includes both the permanent and temporary works. 


Professional Indemnity Insurance 


Who needs Professional Indemnity Insurance? Anyone who provides advice or has design responsibility, even if this is subcontracted to another party.


What does Professional Indemnity Insurance cover? Professional Indemnity covers legal costs and damages including rectification costs in relation to alleged errors in the design or the construction of project. 


What Trades Do We Cover?


As liability insurance specialists with over 50 years experience in the industry, we have put together solutions with a range of insurers which allow us to provide cover for the vast majority of trades,  below are a few examples of the type of contractors that we work with:

  • Building Contractors
  • Property Developers
  • Cladding Contractors
  • Scaffolding Contractors
  • Steel Erectors
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Heating & Ventilation Contractors
  • Refrigeration Contractors 
  • Refurbishment and Shop Fitters 
  • Clean Room Construction
  • Flooring Contractors 
  • Glazing Contractors
  • Roofing Contractors
  • Building Services Contractors
  • Hazardous Location Contractors
  • Renewable Energy Contractors
  • House Builders
  • Bricklayers
  • Ground-workers 
  • Landscape Gardeners
  • Plasterers
  • Refurbishment Contractors
  • Flooring Contractors
  • Painters & Decorators
  • Mechanical Engineers
  • Pipe fitters
  • Carpenters 
  • Home Automation Contractors
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Lift Engineers

If you would like a quotation for Liability, Indemnity or Contract Works Insurance email info@clarkewilliams.co.uk or call 01732 252 898 and we’ll be happy to provide you with competitive terms.

Want to speak to one of our specialists?

Call or email us today for a comprehensive insurance policy at a competitive price.

Telephone: 01732 252898

Or email us using the form below.

Be safe in the knowledge that your business is protected.

Get a quote by calling our team on 01732 252 898

or submit your details below

Submit your details for a quote

    Contact Name

    Email Address


    Your Message / Enquiry

    Renewal Date (if applicable)

    How did you hear about us?

    I am happy to be contacted

    Clarke Williams Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under reference 758683. The Financial Conduct Authority’s Register can be accessed through http://www.fca.org.uk/ . We are registered in England and Wales with Companies House under number 10317065. Our registered office address is Blue Bell Court, Sovereign Way, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1FU.
    Clarke Williams Ltd
    Blue Bell Court
    Sovereign Way
    TN9 1FU
    Tel: 01732 252 898
    © 2023 Clarke Williams Ltd