Property Owners Insurance


We compare quotes from leading brands


All staff are UK based. No call centres


Cover provided by A Rated insurers


Claims support service


Range of cover limits to suit all types of businesses

CWIB Insurer Logos
Powered By Google
Clarke Williams Claims Paid 2

Residential and Commercial Property Owners Insurance 

If you own or manage properties you need to make sure that your properties are protected. Clarke Williams Ltd are specialist insurance brokers providing property insurance solutions for Landlords, Residents Associations, Tenants and Block Management Company’s within the UK. Whether you are the Landlord of a few properties for income and investment purposes, or are running a business and make a living from commercial property, it’s vital that you take all of the necessary steps to ensure that your investment is protected.

This means making sure that you have the right level of insurance to cover your properties against an unforeseen event such as a flood or fire.

Your dedicated account advisor is at the end of a phone line. We review the market and compare terms so you don’t have too. And if you choose us, you’ll benefit from dealing with account advisors based in the UK, their specialist knowledge and the option of monthly payments.


What does a Property Insurance Policy cover me for?

Property Insurance protects the structure from a number of specific events or “perils” such as Fire, Storm, Flood,  Aircraft or Subsidence. In the event of a loss occurring, the insurer will pay the costs of repairing or rebuilding the property so that the property owner is put back into the position they were prior to the loss occurring.

Typically, Property Owner policies will provide cover for:

  • Buildings
  • Alternative accommodation / Loss of Rent
  • Property Owners Liability

The policy can also be tailored to include additional cover. We will discuss your needs and can look to include the following where required:

  • Accidental Damage and All Risks

  • Malicious Damage by Tenants

  • Rent Protection and Eviction Costs

  • Employers Liability

  • Landlord Contents

  • Legal Expenses

Whether you have a buy-to-let property, a commercial let property, or a portfolio of properties, we can provide a tailored policy to protect against Damage and Legal liability you may incur as a Property Owner. With optional cover for Loss of Rent, Landlord Contents, Malicious Damage, Employers Liability and Rent Guarantee, we can ensure peace of mind that you are covered for all eventualities.


What is Property Owners Liability Insurance?

As experts in Property Owners Insurance and Landlords Liability insurance we find it surprising that there are no legal obligations for a Landlord to hold specific insurance contracts however many councils, banks or management agencies will ask for proof of Property Owners Liability and Buildings Insurance if you have purchased using a mortgage.

There seems to be some confusion when it comes to Property Owners’ Liability. It is sometimes referred to using a variety of different terms including:

  • Public Liability
  • Landlords’ Liability
  • Landlords’ Public Liability
  • Landlords’ Indemnity cover


What does Property Owners Liability cover?

In simple terms Property Owners Liability covers you against the cost of claims arising from injury or damage suffered by a tenant or visitor as a result of a fault in your property. This could be a tile falling off the roof and injuring a passer by or a tenant slipping in the shower, if your tenant, one of your tenant’s visitors or any member of the public on your property suffers an injury or damage caused on or in connection with your property, then Property Owners’ Liability will protect you financially should the third-party claim compensation.

Property Owners Liability is typically automatically included if you take out Landlords Buildings Insurance but with more Landlords purchasing individual flats for rental we are seeing a rise in the uptake of Property Owners Liability on its own. This is an extra layer of protection for the Landlord in the event of any accident within their individual flat in a block.




I’ve taken a Deposit why would I need Rent Guarantee Insurance?

As a Landlord, you have taken steps to help protect your investment with an initial Deposit but this is typically only enough to cover 1 months rent and you may still need to pay legal fees if you have to evict or repossess the property. Rent Guarantee Insurance helps protect your investment by covering loss of rental income up to a set amount which is often enough to cover several months’ worth of rental income.

These policies normally come with Legal Expense cover included which can provide cover for Eviction Costs if your tenant still refuses to pay aswell as legal costs incurred following a contract dispute. It is worth noting that Insurers will impose strict referencing terms which need to be adhered to in order for the policy to pay out, before taking any action you should discuss this with your broker or insurance company.

We can cater for Rent Guarantee Insurance as a standalone policy if required – talk to one of the team about your needs or alternatively get an instant quote HERE

Should I have Landlords Buildings and Contents Insurance?

An essential cover for most and we advise that ALL landlords should have Buildings Insurance if they are responsible for the entire property, this protects your investment from any damage which may include fire, natural disasters, subsidence or malicious damage. Most building policies will provide Alternative Accommodation cover if the property is deemed uninhabitable following an incident allowing you to move your tenants to a new premises whilst works are carried out at your property.

If you own the Leasehold you could still be responsible for insuring the building. This is typically included within a service charge but it is worth checking your agreement with the freeholder as to who is ultimately responsible for arranging and paying for the insurance.

While Landlord building insurance is considered essential, contents cover is considered an optional extra. Whether it’s suitable for you depends on the contents of the property you’re letting; if your property is “furnished” then it’s worth considering contents insurance. Additionally, if white goods (cooker, oven, fridge, freezer etc) are provided as part of the let, then it also might be worth considering. Cover can be extended to include Accidental Damage aswell as Malicious Damage by the Tenant if required.

If the property is unfurnished, then it’s ultimately down to the tenant to get his/her own policy to insure their personal belongings. Note that Landlords are NOT obligated to insure the tenants possession.

I have taken out Insurance for my Properties – I don’t need to worry until renewal

Unfortunately, some Landlords are not aware that they are responsible for updating insurers in any change in circumstance at their property immediately. Failure to do so could lead to insurers invalidating your policy and leaving you personally liable for any financial costs. Thankfully using an insurance broker can make this a lot easier for you, you can advise them of any changes and they will notify insurers on your behalf and negotiate any terms where needed. Changes in circumstances include:


  • Change in Tenants
  • If the property undergoes any renovation works
  • If the property is going to remain empty for more than 30 days

Jon Weller
Jon Weller
11:56 20 Mar 24
Highly recommend Clarke Williams and especially Scott, who helped me find the best cover for both my construction businesses. Answered all questions promptly and helped explain everything easily. Great Service.
12:26 29 Feb 24
I received very good service from Clarke Williams and would certainly recommend. Graham was extremely thorough and efficient.
Rachel Gardner-Poole
Rachel Gardner-Poole
17:50 10 Feb 24
I found Scott Williams particularly helpful in getting my insurance setup for my new business.
See All Reviews

Want to speak to one of our specialists?

For a comprehensive
insurance policy
at a competitive price
contact us today

Telephone: 01732 252 898

For a comprehensive insurance policy at a competitive price
contact us today on 01732 252 898

or submit your details below

Submit your details for a quote

    Contact Name

    Email Address


    Your Message / Enquiry

    Renewal Date (if applicable)

    How did you hear about us?

    I am happy to be contacted

    Who can we cater for?

    We are able to assist with all circumstances that may arise during your time as a landlord and can to provide cover for the following tenants:


    • Professional Workers
    • Local Authority Tenants
    • Asylum Seekers
    • Leaseholders
    • Resident Associations
    • Block Management and Property Portfolios
    • Unoccupied Property
    • Airbnb Rented Property


    • High Street Retailers
    • Manufacturers
    • Printers
    • Wholesalers
    • Industrial Estates
    • Unoccupied Property
    • Property Portfolios

    Be safe in the knowledge that your business is protected for all eventualities

    What happens if my property becomes unoccupied?

    We know that sometimes the unexpected can occur but we have specialist solutions in place to make sure you are covered for any eventuality.

    Unfortunately, sometimes throughout the course of your Property ownership you may find yourself between tenants or needing to undertake renovation works on your property, rendering it unoccupied.

    As a property specialist, we have access to a wide range of insurers who can cover you from one unoccupied unit within a block to the entire property aswell as picking up properties that are undergoing redevelopment.

    Want to speak to one of our specialists?

    Please call us on
    01732 252 898
    or fill in your details below
    and a member of the team
    will be in touch.

      01732 252 898