Plumbing and Heating Contractors Liability Insurance



We compare quotes from leading brands


All staff are UK based. No call centres


Cover provided by A Rated insurers


Claims support service


Range of cover limits to suit all types of businesses

CWIB Insurer Logos
Powered By Google
Clarke Williams Claims Paid 2

Plumbing & Heating Contractors Liability Insurance


At Clarke Williams we recognise the complexities of running your own business and understand the challenges of finding the right cover which not only protects your assets and staff but also complies with industry contract requirements and regulation. From one man band plumbing and heating engineers to contracting firms and specialist ventilation and refrigeration companies, Clarke Williams are here to help.

Our clients include heating engineers (whether working at private homes or as subcontractor to the principal on housing developments), specialist air conditioning engineers carrying out design activities and those working in/on high risk locations including data centres, manufacturing plants and industrial boilers.

Although as a plumbing and heating contractor you have to make sure you and your business are protected in case a claim arises as a result of injury to members of the public, damage to your client’s property and illness/injury of your labour force, it does not have to be complicated.

We are a specialist liability insurance broker who can quickly and painlessly provide you with terms from the leading insurers to enable you to make an informed decision on your insurance policy. We are here to discuss your requirements and provide a tailored quote which will ensure that your business has the correct cover at a competitive price.


What Insurance does a Plumbing and Heating Contractor need?


Whether you are self-employed or have a team of employees working for you, it is essential you have adequate cover to protect your liabilities

Public and Products Liability Insurance covers you for bodily injury to third parties or property damage which arises in the course of your daily  activities,  for example damage to a client’s premises or neighbouring property whilst you are undertaking work. Nowadays, it is becoming more prevalent for Contractors to be asked to have enhanced limits for their Contractors Liability Insurance and at Clarke Williams can provide Public Liability limits from £1,000,000 to in excess of £10,000,000.

There are a number of extensions we can include within our Public and Products Liability Insurance which many policies do not include:

  • Defective Workmanship – provides cover for damage or injury caused as a result of your faulty workmanship (but not the damage to the part which was supplied or worked on).
  • Financial loss – provides cover for pecuniary losses or expenses sustained by a third party as a result of a defect or unsuitability of works, which do not cause bodily injury or property damage
  • Efficacy – provides cover for loss or damage to property arising from the failure of a service or product due to its inability to fulfil its intended function e.g. failure of air conditioning or refrigeration units at a data centre retail distribution centre.  Efficacy cover is particularly important for the HVAC industry.

Employers’ Liability Insurance covers you for liability arising from employees who sustain an injury or illness during the course of their employment with you. It is a legal requirement for all employers within the UK to hold this cover and the minimum statutory limit is £5,000,000 however most insurers provide £10,000,000 as standard

You may need Employers’ Liability Insurance for someone who works for you if:

  • You deduct national insurance and income tax from the money you pay them
  • You have the right to control where and when they work and how they do it
  • You supply their work materials and equipment
  • Your contract states that you are responsible for their actions and supervision of such

Contract works insurance covers work in the course of construction before it is handed over to the principal or employer on practical completion. It can pay to repair or to redo the work that is in progress if it’s damaged by an insured event like fire, flood, storm, vandalism or theft and includes both the permanent and temporary works.

Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance also known as Design and Construct Professional Indemnity, protects contractors and sub contracted specialists (such as ventilation or refrigeration engineers) for allegations relating to errors in their work or incorrect design.

We can also cater for Hired In Plant, Own Plant, Tools and Commercial Fleet Insurance.

Why Clarke Williams Insurance Brokers?


  • High risk trades catered for
  • Cover provided for ‘Hot Works’
  • We work with insurers who are comfortable with a high proportion of Bona Fide Subcontracted Labour
  • We have access to specialist markets that can provide policies with no height and depth limits if required
  • Accommodation of high risk locations such as offshore installations, petro chemical plants, water treated sites, industrial boilers or sites that require specialist temperature controls
  • Over 50 years experience and technical knowledge
  • We are independent insurance brokers and we only work for you, the customer
  • All staff are UK based – No call centres
  • Dedicated account managers with specialist knowledge in your industry

Jon Weller
Jon Weller
11:56 20 Mar 24
Highly recommend Clarke Williams and especially Scott, who helped me find the best cover for both my construction businesses. Answered all questions promptly and helped explain everything easily. Great Service.
12:26 29 Feb 24
I received very good service from Clarke Williams and would certainly recommend. Graham was extremely thorough and efficient.
Rachel Gardner-Poole
Rachel Gardner-Poole
17:50 10 Feb 24
I found Scott Williams particularly helpful in getting my insurance setup for my new business.
See All Reviews

Want to speak to one of our specialists?

For a bespoke
Plumbing and
Heating Engineer quote
contact our
Liability specialists today.

Telephone: 01732 252 898

For a bespoke Plumbing and Heating Engineer quote contact our
Liability specialists today on 01732 252 898

or submit your details below

Submit your details for a quote

    Contact Name

    Email Address


    Your Message / Enquiry

    Renewal Date (if applicable)

    How did you hear about us?

    I am happy to be contacted

    Can I Cover My Premises As Well?

    We can cover your entire business including your premises and all liabilities associated with this. The products we use are extensive enough to provide protection for the majority of businesses however if a bespoke portfolio is required this can also be arranged.

    What If I am Contracting or Sub-Contracting?

    HVAC Contracting. As a contractor, it is important to check the extent and scope of your potential liabilities and make sure that you have the correct cover in place with your broker. You should also be aware of the situation regarding any unsupervised sub-contractors, they may need their own cover – and if so, you should ask for evidence that this is in place. Your insurer will have certain stipulations regarding the levels of liability cover required for your subcontractors.

    HVAC Sub-Contracting. If you work as a HVAC sub-contractor on an unsupervised basis, you will need your own liability cover. If you are supervised, your on-site risks may be covered by the main contractors policy, however, we always advise contractors not rely to third parties insurance arrangements unless they are certain that all of their possible liabilities and losses that may arise would be covered.

    Shop Around for the Best Deal on Plumbers and Heating Engineers Insurance

    On your behalf Clarke Williams Insurance Brokers will obtain quotations from the leading specialist plumbing and heating business insurance specialists and provide an analysis of the most suitable terms. You can then be confident that you are paying the best possible price for the specialist cover you require.

    What level of Liability Insurance will a Plumbing and Heating Contractor need?

    Both Public Liability and Employers Liability contain limits for the maximum amount that an insurer will pay in the event of a single claim or the maximum limit that they will pay during the course of your insurance policy.

    Most insurers provide Public Liability limits of either £1,000,000, £2,000,000, £5,000,000 and £10,000,000 for Plumbing and Heating Engineers and our team of specialist liability brokers will discuss these limits with you to make sure they meet your requirements.

    The minimum amount legally required for Employers Liability is £5million but nearly all insurers provide £10million to make sure you are adequately covered.

    Best Ways to Mitigate a Potential Liability claim:

    Unfortunately claims do happen but below are some of the ways that a chance of a claim can be reduced:


    Undertake regular training for managers, employees and sub-contractors to ensure all are aware and compliant with health and safety procedures, best practice and industry changes.

    Make sure personal protective equipment (PPE) is being worn

    Employers have a duty to provide and police the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) at work including safety helmets, gloves, eye protection, high-visibility clothing, safety footwear and safety harnesses.

    Document Your Work

    We would always recommend that clients document their work including photographs and videos if possible. Keep an archive of all of your jobs, and the relevant documentation relating to them. If a problem arises in the future you will have the appropriate evidence to prove that your part of the job was done correctly.

    Always Follow Code

    The best way to avoid liability arising as an HVAC contractor is to always follow proper procedure, and know and always follow the applicable code. Not only is this the best way to avoid accidents and situations which lead to claims, but it is also a way to effectively rule yourself out as the cause of any incident resulting from a job which involved many contractors.

    Choose Subcontractors Wisely

    A final way to avoid claims is to only work with trusted subcontractors. Work with those who display a high level of professionalism in their work and avoid those who have reputation of cutting corners, even if it means paying a little more. Just as with your own employees, supervision is essential. Even if a subcontractors is performing non-HVAC work you should conduct inspections and reviews. Do check that they hold an appropriate level of public liability insurance and keep a copy of their policy information on file for at least 6 years.

    Want to speak to one of our specialists?

    Please call us on
    01732 252 898
    or fill in your details below
    and a member of the team
    will be in touch.
    Email us

      Contact Name

      Email Address


      Your Message / Enquiry

      Renewal Date (if applicable)

      How did you hear about us?

      I am happy to be contacted

        01732 252 898